Recipe: Healthy Homemade Hamburgers
- 500g extra lean ground beef
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 100g shredded Proteina High-Protein Cheese
- Optional toppings: smashed avocado, sliced cheddar cheese, ketchup, mustard, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, dill pickles, bacon, sautéed onions, etc.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium heat (or, use a griddle or fry pan, though this is messier).
- Divide the ground chuck into 4 oz portions (1/4 of the meat), using a scale if you have one. Using two sheets of wax paper (or one large sheet, folded in half), gently press the meat into a round patty - the thinner, the better. Once they start cooking, they will increase in size. Set aside and repeat for rest of the patties.
- Once all patties are formed, lightly season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Once grill is hot, place the patties on the grill. Do not close the lid and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Flip the patties and cook another 3-5 minutes, uncovered
- Then, flip the patties once more but also move to a medium-low heat zone. Cover and cook patties until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once patties are at 160 degrees F, add cheese slices, and cover an additional minute to let melt. Quickly remove the patties from the grill and let sit 3 minutes before serving.
- Prepare the burger as you wish using the optional toppings listed above
Nutrition Per Serving (1 Burger)